At the sea
For the period 2017-2020, each year an average of 339 people lose their lives during leisure activities.
- 7 in 10 people die at sea from drowning.
- 70% of the people who lose their lives at sea are Greeks.
- 76% OF DEATH ACCIDENTS RECEIVE LAND ON BEACHES "NOT GUARDED" BY LIFEGUARD.
- 79% of people who lose their lives at sea are over 60 years old.
- 88% of fatal accidents take place on a beach of the National Beach Register.
Based on the annual publication of the Observatory report, the National Policy is drawn up which aims to strengthen prevention and reduce fatal and non-fatal accidents.